About Lymphoma Australia
Lymphoma Australia (LA) also known as The Lymphoma Support & Research Association (LSRA) is the result of an article posted in the Gold Coast Bulletin in 2003 requesting interested Lymphoma patients to attend an informal meeting in a park at Southport.
Due to the drive, commitment and passion of this founding group of Gold Coast Lymphoma patients the LSRA became an incorporated charity in 2004 and is now providing education, support and Lymphoma awareness across Australia.
To date Lymphoma Australia has relied on grants, fund raising initiatives, donations and sponsorships to continue the work that we are currently doing and planning to achieve for Lymphoma.
Our logo of a “Feather” is a symbolic representation of a guardian angel for each and everyone of us – it gives hope to those with Lymphoma and reflects people are searching for cures everyday. Our founding patient group wanted to ensure no one felt alone in their Lymphoma journey.
Our organistion also supports Lymphoma research with fund raising initiatives. We also provide information to the community at no cost to enable both patients and non patients to be aware of the signs and symptoms of this cancer, which is now the 5th most common cancer being diagnosed in Australia. We need to ensure that early diagnosis of this cancer is paramount so that the best possible outcome can be achieved for anyone diagnosed with this cancer.
Our current support resources “Living with Lymphoma” and “Your Journey of Lymphoma Treatments” are unlike any other available for Lymphoma patients, within Australia and the world.
The development of these resources is the result of a collaborative approach with a number of key stakeholder’s e.g. Hospitals, doctors, nurses and patients. These groups are also able to provide feedback via our website, meetings, support groups and other relevant forums that we attend/conduct.
It is the vision of Lymphoma Australia to continue to provide these free resources to hospitals, cancer clinics and patients across the nation. It is our belief that knowledge is empowerment which is unquestionably important in a journey of Lymphoma diagnosis, treatment and recovery.
Lymphoma Australia is also a member of the Lymphoma coalition, which is a worldwide group providing global support to the millions of people around the world living with cancer of the Lymphatic system.
To date the following have been significant Lymphoma accomplishments achieved by our organisation:
- Raising awareness of Lymphoma Australia wide via media and events
- Key player in the development and implementation of World Lymphoma Awareness Day (WLAD) in Australia each year.
- Key advocate for the PBS approval of Lymphoma treatments in Australia
- Development of a Lymphoma documentary that provides hope via inspirational Lymphoma patient stories. Anthony Warlow a Hodgkin’s Lymphoma survivor features in this documentary
- Dedicated Lymphoma promotional materials e.g.
- Website www.lymphoma.org.au
- Hospital fliers
- Media articles
- Free distribution of the book “100 Questions about Lymphoma”
- Free distribution of the Lymphoma documentary – “Journey through Lymphoma “
- Free distribution of our latest resources “Living with Lymphoma” (patient book and “Your Journey of Lymphoma Treatments” (DVD)